Maintainer Meeting minutes - Jan 10th, 2018

The first maintainers' meeting of the year 2018 went well, and there were discussion and participation till the last minute. I hope more maintainers join regularly to this meeting, and make it easier to take decisions.

----

Attendance

  • [Sorry Note] Misc, Amye, Atin (conflicting meeting), Ravi
  • Amar, Nigel, Shyam, Kaleb, Nithya, Kotresh, Csaba, Xavi, Kaushal, Aravinda, Raghavendra G

Agenda

  • 4.0 ? Are we good to branch?

    • GD2 : Not a blocker as it is continuing in another repo

      • [Kaushal] Aravinda’s Volgen is in. Helps with different volume types.
      • Should also help to get rebalance and heal commands.
      • Planning to have a release this week.
      • Upstream glusterfs master works with GD2 (or GD2 works with master)
      • [Shyam] RC release packaging requirement? What do we need?
      • [kshlm] Need golang on build system. Some more changes in Makefile and build scripts. Other than that don’t see much issues with RPM building.
      • Building tarball with all dependencies also may be needed.
      • Tarball will contain all dependencies. Fedora may have issues. Have to check with Niels about CentOS.
      • AI: Shyam to start mailthread about this with package maintainers.
      • Need a quickstart guide - Current guide. Present. Need some more data there. And feedback.
      • [kshlm] provide recovery steps for whole cluster goes down.
      • [Amar] Need a release and quickstart guide on priority.
      • [Shyam] A week after branching is good time
    • [Atin] Changes for making GD2 understand options across all the xlators are not yet complete. Would that become a blocker for branch out?

      • [Shyam] Is it blocker? Looks like it is not blocker, may be allowed to be bug fix post branching. But loosing momentum is a concern.
      • [kshlm] Fine with it as its only GD2 which consumes it.
      • AI: Shyam to mention it in email about 4.0 branching.
    • Protocol : Plumbing done, regression failures being debugged. Need another week to have it ready. (See https://review.gluster.org/19098.)

      • From today, not after branching
      • AI: check with Wireshark changes need to be done by 4.0 release
      • No need to define futurist fops now.
    • CentOS6 support in 4.0?

      • [Kaleb] Concerns with Python/GoLang issues, mostly
      • [Kshlm] gd2 doesn’t build on centos6. may work on epel.
      • [Nigel] We are ready to move to centos7 on regression. No dependency on centos6.
      • [Shyam] Is there a concern from centos SIG? [Kaleb] No.
      • This is a community question.
      • AI: Need to be checked with community and any downstream concerns for people.
    • NetBSD support in 4.0?

    • Other features as tracked in the github lane for 4.0 [Shyam]

    • Review focus for patches targetted for 4.0 [Shyam]

      • AI: To send a email to start focused reviews.
      • Surely need focused effort here, with priority.
    • Kaushal is speaking at FOSDEM and DevConf - 2018 about Gluster-4.0 GD2.

      • Will reach out for reviews of presentation
  • Current failures of centos6 regression failure?

    • [Kaleb] Random failures happening right now
    • [Jdarcy] Can you paste the link? Here
    • [Nithya] Is it rebased after ssl revert?
    • [Aravinda & Kotresh] There were failures on geo-rep test cases, and now mostly fixed. Thanks to Nigel.
    • [Nithya] Is it timing related? has the spectre & meltdown patches gone in ? [Nigel] Yes, they are all updated.
    • [Kaleb] Patch is just about linking libraries (in makefile), but no code change. Treat it as showstopper, for branching.
    • [RaghuG] See some ABORT errors [NigelB] All of them were about timeout, bumped up the timeout.
    • [Nigel] AI: Can consider changing the provider.
  • Upcoming infra changes

    • [Nigel] Background story: to be short, no more funding from current provider, and is costlier for the requirement we have.
    • We’re working on moving from a static infra to dynamic test infrastructure.
    • We’re also switching providers. Currently evaluating new providers
    • This move will help us create nodes for chunked regressions on-demand and throw them out after the job is done.
    • The test framework and how we log test failures will undergo significant changes due to this.
    • I will be pinging some maintainers this week to debug test failures.
      • NFS failures currently (2 of them) jdarcy to take a look at gNFS.
    • https://build.gluster.org/job/cage-test/180/console
    • This is the time to talk about NetBSD and our future support for NetBSD.
      • Again, a community call.
      • [Jdarcy] when was the last time we heard from Emmanuel? [Someone] At least a year?
      • Looks like freebsd is similar with compatibility issues compared to netbsd. In that case, please go for it.
      • [Shyam] Who would be maintainer if we move to freebsd?
      • Treat it as best effort? Get help from community?
    • Console output is a current issue of moving to new provider.
  • Long term roadmaps? What is our plan?

  • Automation document - Any further comments?

    • AI: take it to mailing list, and Nigel is happy to do it :thumbsup:
  • FYI, Launchpad build farm is offline. No ETA for when it will return. Ubuntu 3.10.9 packages are queued to be built as soon as it returns online

Decision(s)

  • AI: Shyam to start mailthread about this with package maintainers.
  • [Nigel] AI: Can consider changing the provider. Also talk about regression failures.
  • AI: check with Wireshark changes need to be done by 4.0 release (after the protocol change)
  • AI: Need to be checked with community and any downstream concerns for people, for retiring support for centos6.
-------

I already see Jeff Darcy acting on one of the action item to check the back-trace of a failed regression! Thanks Jeff.

Regards,
Amar