Re: feature request: forget about the goat (somewhat translation related)

Hi!

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 6:43 PM Cristian Secară <liste@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> În data de Fri, 22 May 2020 01:51:43 +0200, Jehan Pagès a scris:
>
> > [...]
> > Basically in the future, this plug-in will be a looot more
> > interesting, self-explanatory and better labelled.
>
> Hopefully ...
>
> > [...]
> > Are you asking this as one of the translators of GIMP?
>
> Yes (for Romanian)
>
> > Now I agree that the plug-in is not self-explanatory enough in GIMP
> > 2.10.x and I understand that people will wonder what this filter is
> > exactly. [...] This is passed, it has been like this
> > for 2 years already, nobody ever complains of it (and if they don't
> > get it, a simple web search or asking on a forum like in your link
> > and they can get their answer), [...]
>
> What relevant answer can one get by searching (without quotes) "gimp
> promener une chèvre" ? Or "gimp esercizio per capre" ? Or "gimp
> Потренировать козу" ? Or "gimp ejercitar una cabra" ? And so on. At most
> they will only find references to the corresponding msgstr source code for
> their language.

Yes, as you say, it's a joke with the GEGL mascot being a goat. The name is
indeed not very relevant. This plug-in being now in a "development > Goat
exercises" subsection and the new dialog clearly saying that it is a
demo/exercise plug-in for plug-in developer is the relevant part. In the
future version, there should not be any ambiguosity anymore of what these
are, even with the funny name.

Now it's not saying that you are still right that the ambiguosity
definitely remains on GIMP 2.10.x, but then it's only about time management
(and the limits of this time), and this is the only reason why I won't even
look at it in GIMP 2.10, but also why I would still accept patches if
someones wishes to do so.

> > Yet if anyone were to propose some patch to goat invasion, possibly
> > to make it work the same on GIMP 2.10.x as it does now on master
> > (it's not just a simple cherry-pick as we changed the API, but it
> > should not be too hard anyway), I would gladly accept the patch.
>
> Not sure I understand what you mean, but I only complained about the name
> (menu name and its tooltip), not what it actually do (by the way, I don't
> know what this plug-in actually does, except that it's something about a
> work out in conjunction with a goat, but still I didn't understand if the
> work out (the exercise) is done by the owner of the goat, or by the goat
> itself :)

Ahah well, I guess both the goat and its friend (rather than owner!) are
doing the workout! ;-)

Joke aside, if I recall, it's just a color invert effect. Not much interest
other than showing how to make plug-ins and how to call GEGL operations
from GIMP plug-in code.

Jehan

> Cristi
>
> --