Re: [ANN] gimpgitbuild 0.2.1 - a commandline tool to build GIMP and its dependencies from their git repos

Hi Owen and all,

On Mon, 2 Mar 2020 18:47:41 +0200
Shlomi Fish <shlomif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Owen,
>
> thanks for your email.

> > > This was now implemented: https://travis-ci.org/shlomif/App-gimpgitbuild/
> > > - thanks. It took me half a day, and I ended up skipping the build of gimp
> > > git master itself (due to the fact it required some newer deps). It
> > > inspired a feature in gimpgitbuild 0.8.0 .
> >

> > Thanks again and it built right to the end of gimp. But;
> >
> > I suspect the following is relevant only to Ubuntu-19.10;
> >
> > To get past libmypaint build not finding automake, I needed to;
> >
> >  a.  Remove the symbolic links /etc/alternatives/automake and
> > /etc/alternatives/aclocal (the /etc/alternatves linked back to the 1.16
> > versions in /usr/bin b.  Copy automake-1.16 and aclocal-1.16 to 1.13 version
> >  c.  link the 1.13 versions to automake and aclocal
> >
> > There is probably an easier way to do this. However "it worked"
> >
> > Gimp then built to "Success" but running the app,
> >
> > # apps/graphics/gimp-devel/bin/gimp-2.99: error while loading shared
> > libraries: libgimpbase-3.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
> > file or directory
> >
> > Vaguely remember having to set up some environment variable and will later
> > try;
> >
> >   # export
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/owen/apps/graphics/gimp-devel/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> >
> > but maybe that needs to be added to the 0.8.0 version
> >

> Thanks for trying again and for your patience.
>
> I believe that the need to set up LD_LIBRARY_PATH for running gimp, is a
> problem with gimp's meson-based build system (or with that version of meson
> itself) and ought to be fixed there. But I may be wrong.

I was able to reproduce this issue here on fedora 31 x64. However, while
investigating, I discovered:

1. That there were stale meson configurations which had to be purged.

2. That the code of gimpgitbuild was somewhat under-refactored and wrong.

I fixed #2 in 0.10.0 which I just pushed to cpan. Thanks!

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
My Aphorisms - https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

Well, one thing I can tell you about parenthood is that such things
can progress from figurative to literal, extremely quickly.
    — http://www.shlomifish.org/humour/Summerschool-at-the-NSA/