Re: GIMP 2.8 / 2.9 File explorer

I am now beginning to understand things here.

Maybe as Alex pointed out, we wait for GTK+3 port.

Thanx.

Joseph

On 30 October 2014 11:27, Boudewijn Rempt <boud@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2014, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
>
>  30 окт. 2014 г. 3:32 пользователь "Joseph Bupe" <joseph.bupe@xxxxxxxxx>
>> написал:
>>

>>> Hi developers,
>>>
>>> I would love to see the GIMP open file explorer updated to allow multiple
>>> thumbnail view; unlike the current explorer where I have to know the name
>>> of the file and click it to view it's thumbnail.
>>>

>> Joseph,
>>
>> As Michael pointed out, this isn't exactly GIMP's file explorer. So your
>> request, while understandable, is somewhat misplaced.
>>

> Just a little background from the way Krita is wrestling with file
> dialogs... Qt supports using the platform file dialogs, actually using the
> GTK file dialog (not a rewritten look-alike) on Gnome, Unity or Mate, the
> OSX one on OSX, the Windows one on Windows, the KDE one on KDE, using two
> different api's. And a Qt one when Qt cannot figure out where the
> applicatiion is running.
>
> This means having eight different sets of bugs and missing features,
> ranging from weird hangs when the application has something on the
> clipboard and the GTK file dialog opens, to the OSX file dialog selecting
> the wrong file type in the type dropdown if there are file types with more
> than one standard extensions.
>
> We might have previews on some platforms, but we also have pain on most. I
> must have spent more than forty hours fighting those issues, for very
> little real gain. If I were a user, I'd use an application like gwenview or
> the platform equivalent on a second monitor to manage my images and D&D the
> images.
>
> Boudewijn

D/Insp. BUPE Joseph
*Data Protection Officer, INTERPOL NCB Lusaka*

*Zambia Police Service Headquarters,*
*Criminal Investigation Department,**P.O. Box 50104, Lusaka*
*Zambia*

*Officer Phone/Fax*: + 260 211 255218