Re: unsharp mask

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-08 at 20:35 +0200, Alexia Death wrote:
>> When we are on the subject already, I have a suggestion. Lets save the
>> countless noobs time and change the menu label of unsharp mask to
>> Unsharp Mask Sharpen?
>
> Seriously, Unsharp Mask is the correct term and it is widely known and
> mentioned in pretty much any book/tutorial that covers image
> manipulation and sharpening algorithms.

Well, I personally had been using gimp for several years and at least
one image processing related university class behind me, before I ran
into sharpening tutorial that mentioned it as one of the options.

If photo processing isn't your main track, you probably dont know what
its for. And its a serious usability issue, if there are features that
would be very useful, but are impossible to discover. Being
pro-oriented is fine, but there are several kinds of pros and stomping
on in gimp education of its users like that is really not helpful
IMHO.

I'm not suggesting changing it's name, I'm proposing suffixing the
name of the algorithm with its purpose because the algorithm name
itself is outright misleading. Putting it in the menu in a menu item
named Sharpen would serve the same purpose, but I dont think we have
any other sharpening algorithms in default distribution to justify
that.

--
--Alexia

p.s Sorry for the double mail again, Sven...