unsharp mask

>> Now, looking through the code I don't see gimp doing anything really different from me outside >of the convolution matrix code. Frankly, I don't understand the convolution matrix code.

>>Why does it take 50 samples and then average them? Is this significant?

>even if i am not a developer i may assure you that consider the neighboring pixels (that is what convolution matrix are for ) is VERY significant, and sure that may explain well why result look simultaneously more contrasted and smoother.

>i think you should really give a look to what convolution matrix may do

Er, I think you misunderstood me a bit.  I believe I understand what the convolution matrix is, and I also understand why it's important.  Yes, the entire purpose of the convolution matrix is to look at neighbouring pixels to create the pixel you're looking for, but that is not what I was talking about when I said '50 samples'.

In the code which *creates* the convolution matrix it does not look at the pixels at all.  It creates the convolution matrix using an equation.  I would think that it would simply plug in the variables for each convolution matrix value it's looking for, but what it is actually doing is taking 50 numbers and plugs those into the equation, then averages them.

Just to repeat, this is in the part that creates the convolution matrix, not the part that uses the convolution matrix to generate pixel values.  I was wondering about the purpose of all those samples along the equation that generates the matrix.

--
bioster (via gimpusers.com)