Re: distributing gimp with another program

Christopher Curtis wrote:

> The command line delineates program boundaries.  If your application
> makes a call to another program, then your application and the
> application being called are separate entities.  As they are separate
> entities, one is not derived from the other.

And I didn't say that one was derived from the other. Go back
and re-read what I said.

> It is dependent on it, yes, but dependence is not derivation.

The distribution/package that contains the GPL code is
(by default) derived from it. The package contains it,
so the package is derived from it.

> If the program dynamically links plug-ins, but the communication
> between them is limited to invoking the ‘main’ function of the plug-in
> with some options and waiting for it to return, that is a borderline
> case.

But this is all irrelevant. The fact that the package contains
GPL code, makes the package derived from the GPL code, even if
the non-GPL contents of the package are un-connected with the GPL
contents. The only "out" you have is if it is "mere aggregation".

> Calling GIMP from your application is perfectly acceptable under the
> terms of the GPL.

Of course it is, as an end user. The GPL doesn't restrict how
you use the code. But as a distributor, it puts certain conditions
on things. And if you are shipping a package that contains GPL
code where the package is not mere aggregation (and the non
GPL code having functionality that is dependent on GPL code
seems a pretty strong hint I think, that this is not mere aggregation),
then you need to make sure that the package meets the GPL licensing
conditions.

Graeme Gill.