Re: distributing gimp with another program

On Sunday 21 November 2010 08:48:47 ash oakenfold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm using gimp for some image post-processing (via script-fu and the
> command line) and I'd like to include it in the distribution of my Flash
> application.
>
> I read the GPL and it says:
>
> *"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> **covered by this License; they are outside its scope.**"*
>
> And on wikipedia it says:
>
> *"The mere act of communicating with other programs does not, by
> itself, require all software to be GPL; nor does distributing GPL
> software with non-GPL software."*
>
> So, just to be clear, can I distribute gimp and use it to make a batch call
> from my program? Or does this violate the GPL?

Hi Ash,
I am not a lawyer but I think that distributing GIMP along with other non-free
programs should be ok if those other programs just use it through the command
line.  Of course you will still have to distribute GIMP under the GPL, which
means that you will have to inform the recipients about the license and their
right, and you will have to make sure (as stated in the GPL) that they can get
the source code in an appropriate way.

HTH,
Daniel