Re: distributing gimp with another program

Quoting ash oakenfold <conceptual.inertia@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I'm using gimp for some image post-processing (via script-fu and the command
> line) and I'd like to include it in the distribution of my Flash
> application.
> :
> :
> So, just to be clear, can I distribute gimp and use it to make a batch call
> from my program? Or does this violate the GPL?

The provisions of the explicit exemption stated in the LICENSE file[1]
strongly suggest that your use case would not violate the terms of
GIMP's licensing. If interfacing through either libgimp or the
Script-fu server mechanisms doesn't mandate GPL licensing of your
code, then why should command line invocation of that same
functionality demand it?

I would offer the following recommendations to further ensure compliance:

* Your program should still work -- and provide significant
functionality -- even if GIMP is not available.

* The GIMP supplied by you needs to be provided separately from your
software. Specifically, the recipient needs to be able to use, make,
and share copies of GIMP even though they may not be permitted to do
so with your software (do not supply GIMP plus your software within
the same ZIP file or tarball).

* The GIMP supplied by you needs to be fully functional as a
standalone application.

* Ideally, provide an _unmodified_ version of GIMP. If you do make
modifications to the GIMP you provide, your modifications should not
be exclusively useful to your project (please consider submitting your
improvements upstream).

* The user needs to be able to substitute their own version of GIMP
for the one provided by you. If you are providing a modified version
of GIMP, your program's use of GIMP must not rely upon the
modifications you've made.

* You must, of course, satisfy all distribution terms required by the
GPL for the GIMP software you are providing. It is important that you
ensure the source code is available upon request, and that recipients
are apprised of this availability.

Finally, keep in mind that this advice (in addition to bearing no
legal authority) is not necessarily applicable to other GPLed
projects. GIMP's explicit exemption provision would be considered by
many people to be an exception to the normal interpretation of the
GPL's scope, not merely a clarification of an amibiguity. The GIMP
project is within their rights to provide such an exception, but one
should not conclude that other GPLed projects offer the same type of
exception.

[1] http://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/tree/LICENSE