Re: (no subject) plus dockables

On Fri, 2010-08-27 at 12:39 +0200, yahvuu wrote:
> On 27.08.2010 07:32, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> > If people have troubles finding the Layers dockable, we should instead
> > look into making it more discoverable, like adding a 'Dockables' top
> > menu or moving them directly under 'Windows' instead of having a sub menu.
>
> What about naming it the 'Dialogs' menu?
>
> -- 'Dockables' sounds like implementation slang to me. And the 'Windows'
> menu becomes confusing in single-window-mode.

"Dialogs" is even more special than "Windows" and in single-window-mode
it is at least as wrong as using the term "Windows". The "Windows" menu
name on the other hand is pretty much default and used in many
applications as a place to list all currently open windows. And that's
the main use of it in GIMP as well. With the exception that we also list
the dockables since we consider them something like sub-windows.

> Making the Layers dialog discoverable under the 'Layers' menu and color
> dialogs below the 'Colors' menu etc.. makes a lot of sense, but IMHO that's
> the job of a 3.0 redesign -- there is a whole lot more to do than just releasing
> the dockables from their current hiding place and distributing them over the
> menu structure.

As I pointed out in another mail, most dialogs are already available in
their respective menus. Completing this is not a major overhaul, it's a
bug-fix.

Sven