(no subject)

Bcc:
Subject: Re:  scanner support should be File->Acquire

Hello,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 12:54:38PM -0400, Christopher Curtis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > "somewhere else" is not a very intuitive place either. We've had a
> > longer discussion when these items were moved to File->Create and no one
> > came up with a better solution.
>
> I find the 'Create' label non-obvious as well.  It makes sense for the
> logo scripts, but I'd suggest considering:
[...]

The problem is, that file->create as well as file->new do not really create a file.

A file is created, when it's written to disk.

It's an image that is created.

And getting data from a scanner is importing data to make an image out of it,
which maybe later will be saved to a file (or thrown away/deleted).

It's the "we are used to misnomed menues since decades" as a heritage of
M$-Windows, which sucks again and again, and will not stop.
So... no wonder those discussions will come up again and again.

The only creative GUI that I've ever seen is that of Blender.

You need time to learn it, because it's so different,
but it's good.

There are other things in the Gimp-GUI that slows down the workflow,
for example in layer menue and in image menue, transformation tools are at
different vertical positions. So you always have to switch in mind, or look up
it again and again, which is time consuming.

It would be a good idea, IMHO to have same functionality at same vertical
position, so that it doesn't matter if you want to rotate your image or your
layer: the transformation will always be at the same height in the menue.

To achieve same vertical position, for menue-fields that are not used one could
add an empty field.

This at first might seem strange, because other programs don't do it that way.
But after people will be used to it, it will make the work with Gimp easier
and faster. (Learn from Blender!)

Ciao,
   Oliver