Re: html layers

Hello,

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 2:29 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7/31/10, LightningIsMyName wrote:
>
>> I don't see GIMP becoming an HTML editor - not only because there is
>> no one with time to develop this (building an html editor is lots of
>> work), but also because this isn't GIMP's product vision.
>
> Really? So GIMP is suddenly not the tool for web developers? :)
>
>> GIMP is meant to be a high-end image manipulation/creating program,
>> and not an application for designing web interfaces (and coding them).
>
> Who said that?

I don't say that I agree with that, but that is from the UI redesign
wiki: http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/GIMP_UI_Redesign#product_vision
If we follow what's listed there then GIMP isn't a tool for
generating/editing html code with graphics and stuff. As peter said:

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM, peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I thought immediately of what the GIMP team said during
> the discussion of the product vision.
>
> I brought up 'what about making mock-ups of web pages?' after a
> serious look at what it means to support that (like pro-grade html
> generation, support for fluid layouts), the team clearly felt that
> this is not what they wanted GIMP to be.
>
> so there is an explicit 'no' for GIMP as a web design tool.
>
> there is an explicit 'yes' for GIMP as a production tool for
> all graphics that are used on a website. This does mean that
> there needs to be better support for this, like automated
> cutting and exporting of all the parts from a working canvas,
> much more than the hack-ish slicing we have right now.

I don't agree with some of the product vision points as stated in the
UI redesign wiki and by some developers (for example that GIMP is
meant mainly for high end users and less for "simple" users - as we
discussed on IRC yesterday), but I do agree on this point. GIMP is an
image editining/authoring tool and not a web tool for coding and
designing websites.

>> I don't want overcomplicated interfaces just to get more features
>
> What makes you think this would be overcomplicated?

Expirience taught me that lots of features *usually* mean more
complicated interfaces. Let's hope that I'm wrong and we can keep the
interface simple if/when we add this =)

~LightningIsMyName