GSoc - Brush Selector Widget

Hi,

I received a comment on my Gimp Gsoc proposal from Martin a couple hours ago. To answer Martin�s question, and think about what UI adjustments are needed for Brush Selector Widget, it may help to discuss here, to see whether my understanding is correct. After having some feedback, I can make some scratches on paper for the new UI, and also can use Gimp or Inkscape to design the UI mock-up.

One of the goals of the project on UI is to allow more precise brush selection. For example, users can easily input and see effects with size, angle, and aspect ratio values.

Currently, these cannot be done easily. Brushes are rather complex in Gimp.

1. In Brush Selection, basically there is a list of brushes to select. There is only parameter to adjust for the selection underneath is Spacing.

2. To customize a brush, there are many parameters to choose in Tool Options for brushes.

3. Users can also right click on brushes to duplicate and modify it, or create a new brush, with input of size, angle, and aspect ratio.

Therefore, there are these many places to choose a brush: Brush Selector, Tool Options, and Brush Editor.

In this project, size, angle, and aspect ratio are important parameters for brush selection.

In the UI, my idea is to have widgets of size (radius), angle, and aspect ratio in Brush Selection Widget, maybe under where Spacing is. Then, users can have a brush that has these precise input parameters, without needing to create a new brush copy and adjust them there. This should be a small task, so that some frequently used widgets would be in a more accessible place.

I have some other ideas for the UI design. What are your thoughts on the UI? Maybe Alexia, the mentor of this project, has some good ideas. I am interested to know what other tasks are and make it a three-month project.

Regards,

Zhenfeng.