Re: 2.8 schedule, donations and krita

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> We often point out to people that GIMP is lacking contributors. Maybe
> the lack of contributors is a side effect of how the project currently
> is run with regards to money?

About three weeks ago someone told me that he wanted to donate some
money to Inkscape and it didn't work. As it turned out, our donation
system has been broken for years, from the very beginning perhaps.
Which means that the only financial support we had all these years is
from Google via GsoC. Can you say that Inkscape is not moving fast
forward? :)

Mind you, it does work for other projects. Ardour's principal
developer relies mostly on the money from monthly subscriptions and
sK1 team relies mostly on money they get from adverts.

But when you say:

> Personally I would be _encouraged_ to further contribute to GIMP if GIMP
> had someone working full time.

it's vitally important to understand that this person is supposed to
have leading position in the project. Otherwise it will end up in
clashes.

Alexandre