Re: 2.8 schedule, donations and krita

On Friday 15 January 2010, SHIRAKAWA Akira wrote:
> On 2010-01-15 18:02, Alexia Death wrote:
> > Well, I didn't know it was an option, and my interest in such device
> > is not limited to just developing gimp, so I've been plotting to get
> > one on my own... But it would help a lot if me and someone else, like
> > Martin or Mitch had the same set, for testing etc purposes.
>
> If you want pen rotation for for developing but you also need a tablet
> for your personal artistic needs, the best choice would be getting a
> Wacom Intuos4 Medium tablet + Art Pen

Adding my two cents -- from the perspective of the Krita maintainer... That's
the setup I got for Krita after doing a donation drive for tablets -- I would
have liked to have airbrushes to go with them, but our funds didn't stretch as
far, and we couldn't get into contact with anyone at Wacom.

By the way, I think that Alexia is completely right when suggesting to get two
rigs: we did the same for Krita, one for the brush engine developer, one for
me (or to send around). That way, bugs can be reproduced reasonably easily,
even if the other developer doesn't use it for creating art.

> (undiscounted price: about 370 +
> 100 euro), although if you're really into drawing and painting then you
> should get an Intuos4 Large which costs 480 euro (+ 100 euro Art Pen).
> These are prices from the official Wacom.eu shop; online retails prices
> are usually about 10% lower. If you're really on a budget (or better, if
> Gimp funds don't allow for such expenses) then you should get an Intuos4
> Small (Wacom price: 225 euro), although I personally don't recommend it
> for drawing or painting as it's way too small. For testing/developing
> tablet support on Gimp would be more than enough anyway.

I also thought that getting a small wacom wouldn't be as useful since the feel
of those are quite different.