Re: Re branding ....

vabijou2 wrote:

> Christopher Howard-3 wrote:
>> Its about having a product you aren't afraid to advertise. ..... As soon
>> as I say "GIMP," you can see
>> the doubt on their faces, because they associate the word with being
>> weak or lame.
>
> I agree with this.  Many people shy away from using products that aren't
> mainstream, and have little to do with (or knowledge of) open source
> software alternatives.  There is nothing about the current name that
> inspires confidence or denotes competence.
>
> I think that the time to change the name would be when a release comes out
> that has an option to run in a single window.  This is a major change that
> people have requested for some time and this new configuration is sure to be
> discussed widely on the internet.  That version could be called something
> like "Gimp+".  Over time this might become shortened in blogs, forums, etc.
> to "G+", and then a later major release could use that as the name.  The
> whole time, Wilber the mascot would remain basically the same to provide
> continuity.  I'm no ad wizard so I don't claim this is the best naming
> strategy, but I think it provides an example of how the rebranding process
> could go.

If the devels ever did come over to the other side on this issue, the
coolest way to go about picking a new name would be a contest. For
example, have a web page where people suggest a name or vote on a list
of names. Then the devs could pick from the top 5.

Imagine the publicity and recognition the project would get the moment
word got out about the contest! It would be on every blog and news site
in the FOSS universe!

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us