Re: soft handling of X11 errors (Was: Unplugging Wacom crashes GIMP)

[Keeping quote below for reference]

The is another class of X11 errors that GIMP should survive:

when you have a view on another display, these days you can open an
entirely new display, on a different computer.  Works great as such, I
use it regularly.

However, if you shut down that display (or the computer that it is
running on, or the network or the ssh forwarder) while the view is in
use, then GIMP crashes.

In both cases, the disappearing display and the disappearing device,
what GIMP would need is a resource stack that is supposed to be
unrolled on certain X11 errors.  At the top of that cleanup stack
should be a GIMP that is still running but has forgotten about the
device or display that caused the error.

Martin

Alexia Death wrote on Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 09:03:50AM +0300:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:26 AM, Patrick Horgan <phorgan1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > 1) If I plug it in after the gimp is already started it isn't recognized
> > as a tablet, i.e. doesn't appear as an extended input device that can be
> > configured and works only as a mouse.
> > 2) If I plug it in before starting the gimp, it's recognized and works
> > well, but if I unplug it before exiting the gimp, gimp will crash in a
> > little bit.
> >
> > Inkscape has exactly the same behavior including the crash.
>

> This is a known issue, and exists because there is no agreed interface  for
> X to tell applications about appearing and disapearing devices(there is
> DBUS, but im not sure if X sends the type notifications needed for this use)
> and no mechanism in the toolkits(in this case, GTK) to handle it, because
> its rather new for X to have appearing and disapearing input devices. Gimp
> sees what devices are available on startup and wont be aware of the devices
> added later. When you remove a device however, gimp(or rather GTK IIRC) will
> try to get data from a noinexisting device and crash. I quickly looked at
> the issue when I encountered it myself and it was quite above ma
> capabilities to fix,  but I dont remember the details any more.
>
> --
> --Alexia
>
> P.S Sorry for the spam, Patrick.

Martin Cracauer <cracauer@xxxxxxxx>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/