Re: open/save/export

Jay Smith (jay@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On 06/10/2009 04:33 PM, Simon Budig wrote:
> > gg (gg@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> >> Subsequent Save as png should automatically set the default file name to
> >> /path/foo.png .
> >
> > *Please* try to be exact in this discussion. You *cannot* "Save as PNG",
> > you can only "Export as PNG". The *only* format you can "Save" to is XCF
> > and its compressed variants.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >         Simon
>
> I have tried to stay out of this, but I can't resist any longer.  It is
> likely my own ignorance and/or not having seen a previous related
> discussion, but.....

I'll make it short to not distract from the original point of the
discussion, if there is a need to discuss this in more depth, please
open a new thread.

> Why is there such a strong distinction between "Save As" and "Export"?
>
> To the _user_ what benefit is this distinction?

We want to make it absolutely clear to the user, that with basically all
fileformats you lose more or less information. We want the user to make
a conscious descision on that.

If some programs have both "Save" and "Export" and offer multiple
options in both of them, then hopefully all the options in "Save" can
store all the aspects of the document you're working on and load them
back properly.

More on the reasoning can be found in the spec:
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Save_%2B_export_specification

Bye,
        Simon
--