Re: Drawing a line in a GIMP plugin

Indeed.  So where is the C API documentation for drawing lines?  When I
search, all that comes up is one C paintbrush function, the Scheme
interface, and this email thread.

I've spent a bunch of time at http://developer.gimp.org/api/2.0/libgimp/
to no avail...  (That's a lot of how I produced the code snippet in the
message which started this thread.)

Ah, a grep search through /usr/include/gimp-2.0/libgimp turned up
gimpvectors, with a bezier line method.  Why didn't I see it earlier?
Ah, on developer.gimp.org there's no text next to the object name, no
Description, no Details, no indication that this is how one draws lines.

So I guess I create a gimpvectors object somehow, then use
gimp_vectors_bezier_stroke_new_moveto() and
gimp_vectors_bezier_stroke_lineto()?  Or should I
gimp_vectors_stroke_new_from_points()?  How do I "stroke" the resulting
path?

Sven, just got your replies, thanks.  Still scratching my head.  I'll
bang on it for a bit longer, and go back to Gdk if I can't make it work.

Thanks,
Adam

On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 21:56 -0400, Rob Antonishen wrote:
> Sure, but the call process should be the same. Just use the equivalent
> C API calls, no?
>
> -Rob A>
>
> On 5/30/09, Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm sorry, I'm developing a C plugin (tried Scheme first and it was DOG
> > slow).  Is there a C equivalent?  All I'm seeing is
> > gimp-paintbrush-register.
> >
> > Funny, a search for "gimp c api line" turns up this thread. :-)  Going
> > further, searching for "gimp plugin api draw line" and restricting to
> > developer.gimp.org turns up GDK drawing primitives.
> >
> > So it sounds like the best way to proceed is to wrap the pixel data into
> > a GdkPixbuf and use GDK to draw into it.  Figured there might be a more
> > straightforward way to go from a GimpDrawable to a GdkDrawable (since it
> > is after all the "GIMP Drawing Kit").  Hmm, and there's a GimpCanvas
> > object, but that doesn't seem to be a plugin thing.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Adam
> >
> > On Sat, 2009-05-30 at 19:20 -0400, Rob Antonishen wrote:
> >> Here is the code to draw a single pixel line, black on white, on the
> >> drawable "layer" and x1 y1 are one end and x2 y2 are the other.
> >>
> >>     (gimp-context-set-brush "Circle (01)")
> >>     (gimp-context-set-foreground "Black")
> >>     (gimp-context-set-background "White")
> >>     (gimp-context-set-opacity 100)
> >>     (gimp-context-set-paint-mode NORMAL-MODE)
> >>     (gimp-pencil layer 4 (vector x1 y1 x2 x2))
> >>     (gimp-displays-flush)
> >>
> >> 0,0 is upper left hand side.  This is with the pencil tool.  Replace
> >> with any other tool as desired, for example:
> >>     (gimp-paintbrush-default layer 4 (vector x1 y1 x2 y2))
> >>
> >> Hope that helps,
> >>
> >> -Rob A>
> > --
> > GPG fingerprint: D54D 1AEE B11C CE9B A02B  C5DD 526F 01E8 564E E4B6
> >
> > Engineering consulting with open source tools
> > http://www.opennovation.com/

-Adam