Re: GIMP PDF export plugin

Andrew A. Gill wrote:
> [from here out, `you' refers to core GIMP developers]
>
> We want you to succeed, and all you need to do to succeed is to
> address some of the issues that users need.  If you're telling us
> that GIMP has no intention of ever providing those things, we'll
> find another product.  Maybe Krita when it becomes vaguely
> stable, or maybe a fork.

With all the excellent input from people in the printing industry,
including you, I think it is as clear as it can be. GIMP needs to
support editing in the CMYK color space. Support for editing only in the
RGB color space will simply not be enough. The details on _how_ to
support this is still an open question, but that we _need_ to is to me
just unquestionable.

> Here's a thought: I can code.  I'm sure others on this list can,
> too.  Why don't you tell us what you would require for a CMYK
> mode to be incorporated into the trunk of GIMP.  We can all read
> the API, but you can tell us what coding standards we need, what
> toes we can't step on and why other attempts to add similar
> functionality (like Cinepaint nee FilmGimp) foundered, and what
> we can do to avoid making those same mistakes.
>
> If you tell us what we need to do, we can do it.  That's the
> point of Open Source!
>
> If you don't, people are going to get sick of the excuses and
> simply move on to develop this functionality somewhere else.
>
> >From the outside, GIMP is seen as a shining example of what open
> source is capable of.  Inside the OSS movement, it's seen much
> like the XFree86 guys--constantly bickering about the same
> issues.  I'm sure that you'd have no trouble getting developers
> to work on a flagship product if they were convinced that it
> would end some of the internal conflicts in OSS.

I must say I find this a bit arrogant. Supporting someone that is
inexperienced with hacking on the GIMP core to implement CMYK, which
arguably is the toughest task one can currently take on as far as GIMP
hacking goes, would be both very boring and very time consuming. That is
not something I want to spend my spare time on. If you want to help
implement better support for CMYK you should start working on and
looking into the GIMP code. After working on the code for a while you
will get your own ideas on how to implement CMYK in the best way.

I've been contributing code to GIMP for quite a while now, and I don't
know yet know exactly how to implement support for CMYK editing in the
best way. All I know is that GEGL will be a much better base for this
than the legacy code. So if you want to help getting CMYK into GIMP,
helping with the integration of GEGL will be a good start.

Best regards,
Martin