Re: Behavior when saving a selection to channel

Hi.

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 17:15 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

> hmmm, there must be a misunderstanding here.

Yes, obviously there is. But it is on your side.

> if you read carefully what I am proposing then you'll see that
> the only thing that is going to change about the channels
> dialog itself is that the stored selections will be outa' there.

There's no conceptual difference between channels and stored selections.
And I am not talking about the red, green, blue color components that
happen to be also shown in the dialog labeled Channels. Channel are a
stack of masks that are projected on top of the layer stack using the
colors associated with them. It happens that you can also use them as a
temporary storage for the selection mask. But the actual purpose is to
make the channel visible and to use it in the image projection.

If we keep channels that are created by saving the selection mask
separate from other channels, then we just took away an important way to
create a channel. When the user saves the selection to a channel, we
don't really know if that is in order to store it for later use as a
selection mask or if the user is creating a spot color channel or trying
to simulate half-toning.

Sven