Re: Behavior when saving a selection to channel

Hi,

On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 14:38 +0100, peter sikking wrote:

> this may look to you like we are only shuffling the furniture,
> but I cannot overstate how much this change is needed in the interest
> of usability:
>

> really. I am not exaggerating.
>

> a significant portion of our core user group will perceive this as
> we added selection management for the first time. the mind-boggling
> way it works now simply makes it a non-starter for them.
> non-starter = does not exist.
>
> for the significant portion of our core user group who have come
> to terms with the current way of working this change will be a
> welcome speed-up of their workflow, because GIMP does not make
> them think anymore in this regard.

I think you are missing the bigger picture here. Channels are not only
about saved selections. If they were, we should indeed declare then as
such. But channels are also used for simulating spot colors and as such
they are much more closely related to the color components that are
shown at the top of the dialog. There are more interesting things that
can be done with channels. Unfortunately this is not very well covered
in the GIMP documentation (the old manual by the Kylanders was better in
this regard). That's why it is even more important that we keep this
close to the Photoshop channels dialog. Then users can at least benefit
from the documentation that exists for PS.

Sven