Re: "quit" signal for plugins

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think it would make sense to call the quit method in all running
plug-ins when the core is quit. So a patch that does this would be much
appreciated. We need to somehow deal with the problem of hanging
plug-ins though.

Sven

I can code up a patch if we can figure out how to prevent stalling.

My approach would be to fork and call the quit method in the child,
then if the child doesn't return in two seconds, pop up a dialog
informing the user that a plug in is not responding and give them
the option to terminate it.

I don't know how the GIMP deals with threading though, so I'm
not sure that that is appropriate in this case.

Someone earlier mentioned a non-blocking wait, does the GIMP
have some system in place for doing that?