Re: Gimp license

On Saturday 10 January 2009 16:03:32 David Gowers wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Alpár Jüttner <alpar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> GIMP is GPL and has always been. If you don't like the GPL license, for
> >> whatever reason, then you should not contribute to this project.
> >
> > Interesting. I knew that GIMP developers must accept GPL as the license
> > of GIMP, but it is new to me that they are also required like it.
>
> Do not twist Sven's words.
> All he said was, in effect, 'if the license bothers you, it's not wise
> for you to contribute to this project.' It's not a matter of GIMP
> project policy or requirements, simply a matter of having the personal
> judgment and wisdom to contribute either wholeheartedly or not at all.

This is called "all-or-nothing thinking" and is the signature cognitive
fallacy of Perfectionism, and as documented in "Feeling Good" by David Burns
(see http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/books-recommends/#feeling_good ) can
cause depressions and other mood disorders.

It's normally impossible to contribute to something wholeheartedly, so
according to your logic, I should not contribute to anything at all because
I'll always have reservations. I contributed to GIMP despite its choice of
licence, because I like using it, and because it's the best of breed among
open-source image manipulation programs, and because I think its choice of
licence does not really affect its use, and because I wanted to make it
better.

I should note that GIMP is not the only GPLed product I've contributed to.

Would I prefer it if GIMP was under a different licence? Yes, but I'm still
happily contributing to it despite that. I'm not required to like every aspect
of a project in order to contribute to it. There are very few if any perfect
projects out there, so I have to settle with ones that are not perfect but
still pretty good.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> David

What Makes Software Apps High Quality -  http://xrl.us/bkeuk

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)