Re: A simple (?) question...

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-04-11 at 11:54 +0200, Torsten Neuer wrote:

> It seems pretty fast and also seems to work (at least I get the same value for
> the identical images and different values for different images).
>
> I thought that it was low-level enough not to use pixel_rgn related
> functions - or am I getting something completely wrong here ?

The API you are using is actually considered too low-level to use from a
plug-in. gimp_pixel_rgn provides a nice abstraction level on top of it.
But if you get along with it, there's nothing wrong with that.

> > The GIMP MD5 implementation was added specifically for the purpose of
> > implementing the thumbnail spec. We didn't add an all-purpose API simply
> > because there was no need for it.
>
> It would be nice to have these three function to be made public though, since
> they could really be useful also in other ways, too (digitally fingerprinting
> images comes to mind).

Use of the MD5 API in libgimpmath will even be deprecated starting with
GIMP 2.6. GLib now provides this functionality. There's no need for us
to duplicate it.

> Understandable from that point of view. And given it is only a very small
> piece of code, the time and effort of making it a configurable item won't
> justify adding the dependency.

It can't be made configurable as important, if not vital, functionality
of GIMP depends on it.

Sven