Re: get mouse feedback within plug-in?

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 08:36:32PM +0200, Daniel Hornung wrote:

(...)

> > From what you write and what it looks like on your project page, you should
> > probably write a tool instead of a plugin (you may find fitting examples
> > under gimp-2.4.5/app/tools).  Also, you could then use any brush available
> > to the Gimp.
> >
> >   Torsten
>
> Just have a look at the current foreground selection tool (since GIMP 2.4),
> probably you can use much of its design or at least user interface.  Also
> make sure that you don't accidentally use the same algorithm ;-)  Since the
> usage seems to be similar, maybe this could even be made an alternative
> choosable algorithm there?
>
> Daniel

Thanks for your hints. I'll try to understand what a tools is at the
week-end. Concerning the algorithm, I actually wondered why such an
alpha-matting approach was not implemented before. The most recent
thing I've seen on in gimp is a graph-cut approach which I consider to
be among the most advanced approaches available at the moment.

Alpha-matting is kind of orthogonal to segmentation. At least in my
version, it requires the user to define what is to be segmented (a
very rough silhouette) but then, the results are sometimes of very
high quality, especially for fuzzy objects because an individual alpha
values is calculated for every pixel, individually. This is something
that Photoshop does but which I have not yet seem on Gimp.

BTW: I tried to avoid any possible patent issues in that area. Did you
ever get feedback or into trouble with Adobe?

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Haenselmann @ University of Mannheim
phone +49 621 181 (voice -2603) (fax -2601)