Re: ‘no image’ window: progress...

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 22:08 +0100, peter sikking wrote:> Michael Grosberg wrote:> > > On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 20:58 +0100, peter sikking wrote:> >> check it out when you have the chance.> >> > Where can one see the new spec?> > same old place:> > <http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/No_image_open_specification>> > but I actually meant check out the software...> Difficult since it's not being built daily as far as I know.
> > To give my $0.02, I think Gimp should simply emulate what is out  > > there,> > namely the behavior of established applications such as Open Office  > > and> > gedit.> > I am really struggling to say something nice here... ah:> > The perfect family car was invented ages ago: the volkwagen beetle.> > That did not stop designer from creating totally different cars for> different needs. And customers from actually buying better cars.> No reason to design a joystick-steered three wheeled car just to bedifferent! Predictability of the UI is a very powerful tool and shouldnot be dismissed. Applications don't work in a vacuum: they are usedalong with other applications, and asking users to "switch mental gears"when they switch from one app to another for no reason is not a goodthing. The developers of those apps have struggled long with exactly thesame problems Gimp is trying to solve and have come up with goodsolutions.
Case in point: in your specification you state that the application willquit if:"Close in the File menu is invoked and the no image’ window is shown"While usually in such cases the close command is grayed out and only thequit command is available. What good reason do you have to change that?
The idea of a window with no document in it is already established. Youyourself said "no gimmicks" and yet in the design there's a cute lookingwilber in the window's background, which is nice but really, you thinkwithout it users won't know what this window is? give users some credit!it's a gimmick and by your own rules should be removed.