Re: ‘no image’ window: progress...

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 20:58 +0100, peter sikking wrote:
> hey GIMPsters,
>
> let me give you an update here.
>
> in the last 10 days the concept and spec has matured quite a bit.
>
> the feedback and plain old bug reports, both here and on the IRC
> went into what is being built right now.
>
> check it out when you have the chance.

Where can one see the new spec?

To give my $0.02, I think Gimp should simply emulate what is out there,
namely the behavior of established applications such as Open Office and
gedit. there is really no reason to reinvent the wheel, this type of
window has existed for a long time in other applications and users
should be comfortable with it by now.

the No image window should have nothing at all in the empty area like
gedit, or an empty frame like OO. As for grayed out menus, I'm all for
following guidelines and the Gnome HIG says no. gedit and OO also don't
gray out menus. Scribus does, though it's in the minority.

I also like the small "X" button just below the real close button in OO.
it allows you to differentiate between closing a document and closing
the application. It only appears when there is only one document open.