GSoC: adjustment layers

Hi,
I am Ruben Vermeersch, a Master in Computer Science student fromBelgium. I would like to ask some advice before submitting a(potentially unfeasible) GSoC proposal.
As a photographer, my main use case for the GIMP is doing curvesadjustments. Not having adjustment layers has never stopped me fromusing our beloved GIMP, but it has led to some annoyance. As such, Iwould like to help out in speeding up the implementation of adjustmentlayers.
As I would rather not submit a proposal that's impossible given theproposed timeframe, I would like to ask the GIMP developers (which havea better view on this), if there is a task I could propose, which wouldlead to a faster implementation of adjustment layers. Also, is anyonewilling to mentor this?
A GSoC would free me from the proverbial "burger flipping", no betterway to do it than to help implementing a much requested feature in theGIMP.
Kind regards,   Ruben Vermeersch