Re: no image open spec...

On Fri, 2008-02-08 at 19:12 +0100, peter sikking wrote:
> Tobias Jakobs wrote:
>
> > I thought about it and I created this mock-up:
> > http://hagemaenner.de/stuff/gimp/PlanB/6.png

[...]

> I have been moving in the same direction in the last days.
>
> If the main function of the window 'body' under the menu bar
> is to have a nice size drag + drop area, let's on its look + feel
> for that. As for the size of this window: just wide enough to fit
> the menubar for the running localisation,height of the window,
> 1/4 or 1/3rd of the width, some nice proportion.

Perhaps it could contain an icon for each active image, so that
left-clicking on the image would bring the image window and any
associated pallettes or whatever to the front, and right-clicking
(or the reverse for left-handed people) would give an image-specifc
context menu as one would expect, either with "close, save a copy,
save as, revert, properties" or the same menu as clicking on the image.

If you make the area useful (drop an image...) and then when the image
is dropped, that area and message are replaced by the image, it's no
longer clear how to open a second image.  The obvious way would be to
drop it in the same place, but that wouldn't work, it would add a layer.

So then you need a visible drop target...

One solution would be that opening an image makes also a new empty image
window to drop things in but that's absurd.

Another (better I think) would be to have a drop target pallette
area/window, that could be docked.

None of this really helps the "window with no image for beginners"
question though.

Liam