Re: using the GIMP donations

   From: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
   Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:37:31 +0100

   On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 18:12 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:

   > But I still can't see why it would be a bad thing to allow donors to
   > donate money to specific features and what legal problems that would
   > then arise.

   What would be the advantage if we allowed it? I can only see
   disadvantages if we allow people to use their money to influence
   our decisions on the future of GIMP. And I also expect that it will
   have a negative effect on the overall motivation of developers to
   work on the code for free.

Another thing to keep in mind: nothing prevents individuals from
establishing bounties (or hiring consultants) and other individuals
from implementing the desired features and either creating their own
forks or convincing the GIMP team to accept the feature after it's
implemented.  But I absolutely agree with Sven: for the project to
accept bounties like this is likely to be very disruptive.

   > The administrative overhead would fall on me to the extent
   > possible, and as long as patches are GPL and taxes etc are
   > handled, what legal problems would there be? Maybe these problems
   > are bigger than I currently see

   I am sure there are many that you and me can't even imagine. But I
   don't see the point in discussing the legal and admininstrative
   problems unless we first come to the conclusion that we consider
   bounties and feature-bound donations a good idea. And so far the
   consensus on this list and on GIMP developer meetings has been that
   it isn't.

One very obvious problem is if the feature doesn't get implemented but
the money somehow gets used for some other purpose, which could happen
very easily if a project doesn't have really good processes for
handling this kind of thing -- which would take up resources better
used for advancing the project in general.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton