Re: using the GIMP donations

Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 07:58 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>
>> For quite some time I have thought about setting up a system that would
>> allow donors to donate money to a specific feature, e.g. donate money to
>> implement a Polygonal Selection Tool. The money in this Polygonal
>> Selection Tool Pool would eventually raise to rather interesting levels,
>>  and the person that provides a patch that implements this tool would be
>> eligible to collect the money in that pool.
>
> We discussed this in the past and the conclusion was that we don't want
> to accept money for specific features and that we consider bounties a
> bad idea. I am willing to pick up this discussion again but I can tell
> you that I haven't changed my mind on this and strongly oppose this
> idea.
>
> So my take on this is a strong "no". And that's without even considering
> the huge administrative work and the legal problems that are involved.
>
> Sven

On a second thought, yes it would be a bad idea to reserve money donated
 _not_ to specific things, for specific things.

But I still can't see why it would be a bad thing to allow donors to
donate money to specific features and what legal problems that would
then arise.

The administrative overhead would fall on me to the extent possible, and
as long as patches are GPL and taxes etc are handled, what legal
problems would there be? Maybe these problems are bigger than I
currently see

- Martin Nordholts