Re: using the GIMP donations

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 07:58 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> For quite some time I have thought about setting up a system that would
> allow donors to donate money to a specific feature, e.g. donate money to
> implement a Polygonal Selection Tool. The money in this Polygonal
> Selection Tool Pool would eventually raise to rather interesting levels,
>  and the person that provides a patch that implements this tool would be
> eligible to collect the money in that pool.

We discussed this in the past and the conclusion was that we don't want
to accept money for specific features and that we consider bounties a
bad idea. I am willing to pick up this discussion again but I can tell
you that I haven't changed my mind on this and strongly oppose this
idea.

IMO it is much better if we continue to decide what's important and what
is being worked on. And if this coding happens for fun and not for
money. As a motivation for contributors we can use the donations money
to fund meetings and maybe also hardware. But I don't think that money
should be bound to specific features.

So my take on this is a strong "no". And that's without even considering
the huge administrative work and the legal problems that are involved.

Sven