Re: 2.6 roadmapping, the UI part of it...

Guillermo Espertino wrote:
> I understand. It's clear that everyone's preference may vary on this
> subject:
>
> -Photoshop users will ask for floating windows nested in a container window.

They ask for an MDI structure because that's what they know, but I suspect
they'll be happy with any solution to their problem that works well.

All Mac software ported to Windows uses the parent window model because - I
suspect - it's the simplest solution to the "where goes the omni-present menu
bar?" problem. You put it at the top of an omni-present window that has to be
maximised and you've got a makeshift Mac desktop. It's not elegant and it
usually doesn't work very well (see Photoshop pre CS2 for details). Most (if not
all) Unix WMs already share MS Windows's behaviour of every window containing
its own menu bar, so why try and solve a problem that's already fixed?

Windows users hate the Gimp's current layout because it forces them to work
using scaled windows. Windows users like to maximise *everything*, in case you
hadn't noticed. I wouldn't be surprised if a large fraction of Windows/Gimp
users maximise their canvases and then use alt-tab to access their tool
dialogues. It also doesn't help that the default layout is very hungry of space.
The first thing I do after installing Gimp is to reduce the size of the toolbox
to something that leaves some room on my screen.

I think your own mock-up is a far superior solution to an MDI layout, especially
if slave windows could be rolled up or otherwise made invisible. It allows one
to work full screen, removes the confusing CDI structure and also reduces the
problem of task bar clutter. I also think that extending the tool dialogue's
tabbing feature to the canvas windows would be very natural and help the clutter
problem as well. You could have several canvas windows each containing many
images in tabs. You could even go as far as allowing tabs to be moved between
the tool dialogues and canvas windows so that an overview could be nested
directly beneath the layers tab, for example.

I'd address the short comings in GIMP's window implementation first and then see
if MDI is actually still demanded before thinking about implementing it. Of
course, you'll always get some criticism, but I think the majority would be
satisfied with a solution that works, even if it isn't like how PS does it.

---AV & Spam Filtering by M+Guardian - Risk Free Email (TM)---