Re: 2.6 roadmapping, the UI part of it...

I agree what Peter Sikking wrote. It seems -to my user pov- that cairo
migration is something that will provide new methods for addressing some
maybe menor, but longstanding UI annoyances, and it's great putting that
migration in the first place of the roadmap.
What I'd like to propose is a change in the UI for 2.6 (part of it is
already possible with the current interface) to gain more screen space.

The first thing I make every time I have a fresh install of gimp is
taking the tool options to the right docker, and made a minor
reorganization of tabs. Then I can stretch the toolbox to a two-column
layout so I gain a lot of screen space to work.
I'd like to propose at least that change as the default panels
arrangement. It gains space, and it makes the interface more familiar
for people who worked with other image manipulation packages. Plus, it's
a totally reversible change, that users that like the current layout can
roll back.

The other part of my idea is a possible solution of the behaviour of the
application when there is no image open.
I developed the idea further in my blog, so I invite you to read it and
tell me if this change is feasible.
http://www.blog.ohweb.com.ar/?p=59

What is not covered there, but certainly would be an interesting idea to
develop, is adding to those changes an optional wrapper window for the
opened documents. I wouldn't  use it, but it's the number one rant about
gimp's interface.
Imo, it wouldn't have too much impact in the program usage (because it
would be working just as the other way, but having a wrapper window for
the opened documents) so it wouldn't be a problem for documentation, for
instance.
Anyway, I'm one of the guys who think it's pretty useless so I won't
mind if there is no gray background :-)

Of course I don't want to go over Peter and the UI team (this proposal
was already sent to the UI brainstorming blog), so I propose this for
discussion and I'd really like to know what do you think about it.