Re: Annoying behavior of shared settings for file save plug-ins

On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:56:16 -0600, Scott <drmemory@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 08:56:33AM +0200, Jakub Friedl wrote:> > I think that "use image file quality unless defaults are 'better'" is not> > thee problem. Problem is inheriting image quality between different images> > in one GIMP session. I have a default quality of 85. Then I open DSLR image> > with quality 95. Save it with that quality. Then I open and save low quality> > cameraphone image. But I am not offered my default nor the original> > cameraphone quality (which would be both understandable) but the DSLR> > quality of 95. Huh? These images have nothing in common except they have> > been opened in the same editor session. Do not mix them up.> > There are times I definitely *want* to save the settings from a> previous save. [...]
If you want to save several images with the same settings, you can usethe buttons "Save defaults" and "Load defaults".  We also have anenhancement request (bug #120829) about providing multiple presetsthat could be saved and re-loaded when necessary.
I think that it is much better to require an explicit action if youwant to re-use some settings from one image to the next, instead ofalways doing this automatically.  Each image should have its ownsettings and should not be influenced by how you saved unrelatedimages in the same session.  As in the example given by Jakub, it isannoying that the parameters used for saving a high-quality DSLRimage are automatically re-used for saving a low-quality cameraphoneimage.
This should definitely change for 2.6.  But my question was aboutwhat kind of workaround can be implemented quickly for 2.4.  It lookslike it might be better to have all plug-ins broken in the same wayinstead of just fixing the most used ones, so that would be thesecond option that I described in my previous message: ignore thesettings from the original JPEG images and always re-use theparameters from the last saved image.  This is bad, but at least thisis consistent with other file plug-ins (until they can all be fixed).