Re: Default values for the Fixed: Size entry

> suddenly I am in Kansas, on a very cool project for 2 weeks.

I hope you had a good vacation :)

>> How about having 100x100 as default when there is no pending
>> rectangle and rectangle width x rectangle height when there is one?
>> This would be the case for both the selection tools and the crop tool.
>
> we cannot base the default of fixed size on the current rect,
> because it operates on the current rect. This would freeze up
> the rect in a positive feedback cycle.
>
> we can base it on the image size, but that would make no
> sense for fixed size.

It seems as if quite a lot of people would like there to be a way of
fixing the size of a pending rectangle.

If we handled the default values of Fixed: Size the same way as for the
default values of the Fixed: Aspect ratio entry (i.e. when rubber
banding has ended, set the default width/height to the pending rectangle
width/height) that would allow people to more intuitively fix the
current rectangle.

Use case:

A user create a rectangle and adjusts size to whatever is the size the
user desires in a given context.

To avoid accidental resize of the rectangle, the user would like to fix
the current size.

Since the default values for Fixed: Size are updated to that of the
pending rectangle when rubber-banding has ended, the values in the Fixed
Size entry are that of the current pending rectangle (if the entry is
not in user-overridden mode, of course).

So, to fix the current size, the user only have to check the Fixed: Size
checkbox.

If the user wishes to adjust the size a bit, he/she can simply do that
in the Fixed: Size entry.

</use case>

With defaults always as 100x100, it is annoying to adjust the Fixed:
Size since 100x100 is likely to be far from what the current rectangle
is. To adjust e.g. only the height, the user would have to manually
enter *both* the current values in the Width: and Height: entries, which
can be tedious with 4 digit width/height sized rectangles.

If we did this like described, there would be no positive feedback cycle
freeze, right? Or is it something I am disregarding? To me this sounds
as a pretty good way of allowing the users to fix the size

- Martin