Re: Solving Bug 356716 – GimpZoomPreview is broken in some plug-ins

Hi,
On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 11:52 +0300, Aurimas Juška wrote:
> * jigsaw -- looks like lot of code would have to be changed to make it> work with GimpZoomPreview correctly. However, I don't understand why> this plug-in would need zoom preview at all. It doesn't do anything> that someone would like to check at high zoom level. My suggestion:> use GimpPreview instead.
You probably mean GimpDrawablePreview as GimpPreview is abstract. Iagree that it is probably best to go back to a simple scrollable previewfor this plug-in.
> * polar, whirlpinch -- both need fetching pixels. Of course, it's> possible to ask core to scale down some part, but I don't think we> would like to do that for each pixel. Efficient solution would be to> scale small regions (tiles) and cache them. For example, lens is doing> that. However, it is not very easy to implement (or copy paste from> somewhere) such functionality and I think such functionality should be> provided by core.
The core does the scaling quite efficiently. So unless it turns out tobe a performance problem, I don't see any need to add complex caching tothe plug-ins. If at all, this should be done in the GimpZoomPreviewitself and we can leave that to be done for the time after 2.4.

Sven