Re: jpeg quality factor.

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:51:24 -0700, Akkana Peck <akkana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> Another thing I'm unclear on in this thread: when I first heard the> idea of forcing Export instead of Save, the plan seemed to be that> Save would always save XCF, and anything else would require Export.> But now you seem to be telling us that the issue is lossiness, and> the point of Export is to make it more hassle to save to lossy formats,> to discourage use of those formats.  Does that imply that Save will> include PNG, TIFF and other non-lossy formats?
If you consider the whole image (including layers, metadata, etc.),then the only lossless image format is XCF.  All other formats dropsome information: PNG cannot save layers, TIFF cannot save allGIMP parasites, etc.  In fact, even the current XCF loses someinformation if you consider that it does not record the full undohistory and the current tool contexts, but this is something thatmost users accept.
So I think that the statement from Peter that singled out indexedimage formats and JPEG was slightly misleading (and this triggeredmy initial reaction).  Basically, only XCF would be "saved" and allother image formats would be "exported".