Re: jpeg quality factor.

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:55:30 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 17:37 +0200, Roel Schroeven wrote:
>
>> 2. read the quality when loading a jpeg, and used that to save the image
>> (if "save as" is not used).
>
> Last time we discussed this (a couple of years ago), libjpeg didn't
> allow us to read the JPEG quality factor that was used to save the
> image. I don't know if that has changed, but I assume that it hasn't.
>

> Sven

thanks , that explains why it was done this way. Probably ought to be
checked, hopefully they've made a bit of progress in the intervening time.

imagemagick seems to have no trouble getting this info and it does depend
on jpeg pkg.

Of course if there is an inadequacy in jpeglib they may have worked around
it by reading the file header anyway, I'm pretty sure it's readily
available.

/gg