Re: index colour images: interp

Quoting gg@xxxxxxxxxxx:

> Once 2.4 is out and there is a review of the interp naming strategy w.r.t.
> downscaling the use of NONE should be probably be changed as well. (A
> scaled up image with no interpolation has holes in it.)
>
>   Even though rather simplistic, N.N _is_ interpolation.
>
> ;)

It is not a hard-and-fast rule that the label of a menu item has to
precisely and accurately describe the functionality of that menu item;
indeed, it is sometimes preferable to address the general concept
being addressed by the item, realizing that those aware of the
technical inaccuracies would not be confused by the "mislabeling",
while those who are not might likely be confused by an accurate label
(or in consideration of a fairly reasonable association which
contributes to a simplified UI). Case in point: most word processors
have an "Insert footer" command while most typesetters would argue
that you don't "insert" a footer, you "attach" a footer.

It is overly presumptuous, in my opinion, to declare that labeling
nearest neighbor interpolation as "None" is an error on the part of
the user interface designers of the GIMP. It may be worthwhile to
propose re-examination of the best approach, but it should not be
assumed that the existing labeling is owing to any lack of
consideration by the developers.