Re: index colour images: interp

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 00:30:04 +0200, <gg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:13:42 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 10:55 +0200, gg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I was not intending to emphasise layers, although I was trying
>>> cover the case where an indexed layer was added. The basic point is
>>> that
>>> this message is great if there is an indexed element in the image,
>>> otherwise it's clutter and we could prefer to avoid displaying this for
>>> non indexed images.
>>
>> This whole thread could have been avoided if you had taken the time to
>> actually try this before you write a mail. The message is only shown
>> when scaling indexed image. If you scale an RGB or grayscale image, no
>> such hint is displayed.
>>

>> Sven
>>

> Very sorry to have wasted your time.
>
> Of course I did test this but I was mistaken about the nature of the
> image
> I was testing with. It was a test image in png format. I looked at image
> props , colour profile where it states "name : sRGB , info: default RGB
> working space". This lead me to mistakenly think it was an RGB image.
>
> Now I double check, it is in fact an indexed image which explains the
> message appearing as you say.
>
> Appologies for the noise.

Hoping to make some useful outcome to this thread ...

>> Indexed colour layers are always scaled without interpolation.
This is incorrect. I suggest the following.

>> Indexed colour layers are always scaled using nearest neighbour
>> interpolation.

Once 2.4 is out and there is a review of the interp naming strategy w.r.t.
downscaling the use of NONE should be probably be changed as well. (A
scaled up image with no interpolation has holes in it.)

  Even though rather simplistic, N.N _is_ interpolation.

;)