Re: Save As JPG Integrated (mockup)

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 02:02:58PM +0100, peter sikking wrote:
> Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>
> > I think the Save_Image dialog should just disappear
> > after use, as both Cancel and Help are available on
> > the second dialog and what else would it be good for?
>
> Yeah it can go. It would only make sense if a Cancel on
> the jpeg options would get you back to the Save_Image dialog,
> in case you see that the jpeg compression is not appropriate,
> you change your mind and go back for png or so...

Good, that would make the process quite a bit more
efficient (for me) already :)

> > http://thorwil.affenbande.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/
> > save_as_jpg_integrated_01.jpg
>
> I just had a quick look. Later in the expert evaluation we
> will get to the save for web scenarios and I will be in
> a better position to deal with this. But for now:

Hmm, ok.

> If we try to do an all in one, then the result has to
> look and feel like a dialog, not like a main window,
> because of the modal nature (finish this first) of the task.

But this would not be like your common dialog that disappears
after Cancel/OK, but rather a window that changes state.

One could see this as argument for having a separate dialog
with preview.
This idea is about avoiding a 'jump' in interaction
and using the image window which is likely in the right
place and size already, though.

> It is difficult for me to say whether sawing off more main
> window bits (no menu bar, tools, palettes, inspectors or rulers;
> default to magnification tool) and adding more dialog-ness
> (get buttons out of the status bar) to what you have drawn,
> or start from scratch on a BIG-preview dialog would be the
> better way to go.

I thought about removing at least the menubar but decided
against it, as you can still zoom, toggle guides ...
Might be better to not allow access to editing options, though.

> > Advanced options hide 'under' the expander. There could
> > be a button to bring them up in a dialog instead.
>
> My gut feeling says that there is a better solution available
> here, but I am only able to work on that after the expert evaluation.

Surely the most problematic aspect.

> > File size can be read in the statusbar.
>
> Better keep the quality slider and file size (main cause
> and effect) physically together.

I wanted to, at first. Then moved it to save width
for small images.

BTW, some apps have web export dialogs with side by side
panes original/compressed. I found toggling between
original/preview in the same view to be superior if
you want to spot JPG artifacts. It's important it can
happen with a single click. I say this because the thought
that tabs might make it more clear what is what has occured
to me ... this is the reason I don't want them.

--
Thorsten Wilms