Re: Save As JPG Integrated (mockup)

Thorsten Wilms writes:
> I found toggling between
> original/preview in the same view to be superior if
> you want to spot JPG artifacts.

Me too. The new setup where the preview is a layer in the image
dialog (I just updated and saw it) is wonderful. I'd been struggling
with focus/raise issues with the old separate-window setup (click on
the dialog and it would raise the original image window, hiding the
preview window, and even when that didn't happen I was always
confusing the two similar looking image windows); using a new layer
is a great solution and makes it so much easier to see the effect of
the quality settings.

I'll add another vote for hiding the Save as dialog when bringing up
the JPEG dialog.  I often go to the wrong one of the two dialogs
after changing desktops or shuffling windows around to see the
preview better. Partly that's because they always pop up widely
separated on the screen, rather than placing the second dialog on
top of the first (they seem to trigger different window manager
placement rules).  And the buttons on the dialogs are a bit
confusing: they both show active Cancel buttons, but Cancel
on the Save As dialog is a no-op.

I wish there were a way around needing two dialogs (needing to click
Save two different times in order to save). Seems like there must be
a way around that, but I can't think of one. Putting jpeg options
and dialog-like buttons into the image window doesn't seem like a
better solution: you still need to click just as many times, and it
sounds jarring for the familiar image window to temporarily change
its UI and act like a dialog.

peter sikking writes:
> because the task is modal by nature, the UI
> UI has to reflect that with dialogness. It is simply a UI
> law of nature.

Is that an argument for making the two dialogs window modal?
They aren't now -- I can go back to the image window and draw on
it, or whatever, while the dialogs are up.

--
    ...Akkana
    "Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional": http://gimpbook.com