Re: Meaning of delay in screenshot plugin

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:36:54PM -0800, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Alex Pounds writes:
> > On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 08:22:11PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> > > Any particular reason why you didn't use the screenshot feature of your
> > > desktop for this? Just asking.
> >
> > Not everybody uses a desktop that has a screenshot feature built in. I
> > don't, and whenever I want a screenshot I use the Gimp plugin. I would be
> > very disappointed to see it removed.
>
> Same here. I have set up a desktop function that does a screenshot
> via import (from image magick); but that doesn't allow me controls
> like delays, and it saves to a file which I then have to open in
> gimp as a separate step (and remember to delete later). I use it
> for quickie "show someone on bugzilla or IRC what I'm seeing" snaps
> but not for the important ones.
>
> For what it's worth, every time I see the question "How do I make
> a screenshot?" posed on a beginner/intermediate Linux list, the
> answer always ends up being GIMP. It's still the best method
> that's not dependent on users running specific versions of
> specific desktops.

I use alternatively

1) gimp-2.2
2) gimp-2.3
3) ksnapshot

1) when I need the delay that is missing in gimp-2.3
2) or 3) when I want to save time autocropping the window decorations
3) when I cannot use 2) and viceversa (taking gimp-2.3 dialogs snapshots for example
or using gimp under MS Windows or ReactOS)

Please do not revert to 2.2.
IMHO the gimp-2.3 way is better than the 2.2 version, not the best.
See ksnapshot for an example of a better interface.

--

Marco Ciampa