Re: [GIMP] Suggestion to simplify user interaction

On 10/13/06, Philip Ganchev <phil.ganchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/13/06, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have implemented a similar solution in my
> prototypes of more advanced layer interfaces and added one more thing,
> items can exist in multiple locations in the menu system with the aim
> to make it easier finding what you are looking for when only browsing
> the menu as well.

Adding an item to more than one menu is probably a good idea.  It must
have been tried before, and perhaps even user tested, but I haven't
researched to know whether it was useful or confusing.

> http://pippin.gimp.org/tmp/search-menu.gif contains a recorded
> animation of the UI elements I've been using.

I did not understand what is the purpose of the interface in the
animation.  I see that you have some searching, but there is a lot of
use of the mouse, which is generally inefficient[1].

Perhaps you'll find the interface in
http://pippin.gimp.org/gegl/gegl-20061105.gif easier to decode, since
that is a screengrab made to illustrate such a type to find a filter
interface. In that interface I copied the mozilla behavior of focusing
"the location bar" with ctrl+L probably a suboptimal choice but it
worked for my experiment[1].

/Øyvind K.

1: I am increasingly annoyed with people assuming that when I present
functional prototypes of things that they are in a form even
considered final enough for an end user to use. In most cases they are
sketches or scaffolding on top of code that I am actually developing.
It is probably not a solution if I start complaining that buttons in
mockups do not work when I press them.

                                                -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/