Re: [GIMP] Suggestion to simplify user interaction

On 10/12/06, Philip Ganchev <phil.ganchev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi.

I have a suggestion for a new and simple way to interact with GIMP.

A major difficulty in using GIMP, in my experience, is that the menus
are too many and too deep.  To invoke an action on an image, or to
open a dialog box, the user spends a lot of time and concentration
navigating the menus, usually with the mouse.  And, despite best
efforts to organize the menus, finding the right item for the
operation you want can be difficult.

A more efficient alternative would be to let the user try to express
his intention more freely, and show him a menu of options that might
be what he wants.  This is in effect search for the right command, and
the user sees the list of options *as he types*.  A command is any
conventional menu item or folder in the current menu hierarchy.

I guess you should have a menu or a similar interface in addition/tandem with
a query interface. I have implemented a similar solution in my
prototypes of more advanced layer interfaces and added one more thing,
items can exist in multiple locations in the menu system with the aim
to make it easier finding what you are looking for when only browsing
the menu as well.

http://pippin.gimp.org/tmp/search-menu.gif contains a recorded
animation of the UI elements I've been using.

/Øyvind K.
                                                -- William Gibson
http://pippin.gimp.org/                            http://ffii.org/