Re: Tool statusbar error messages

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:50:24 +0200, Michael Natterer <mitch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 21:25 +0200, Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 21:03:30 +0200, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > How do we handle the statusbar being invisible? Perhaps the statusbar
> > > should delegate to gimp_message() if it is not currently shown?
> >
> > Yes, but this should probably not be done by the status bar itself.  It
> > should be done one level higher so that the code still knows that it is
> > some error message that is important enough to be displayed with
> > gimp_message().
>
> We only show messages if things didn't happen as the user expected
> them to happen. We can't just let user actions on the display fail
> without any comment. The Statusbar should imho just use gimp_message()
> if it is invisible.

There are other messages that can be displayed in the status bar but are
not errors.  In that case, they should simply not be displayed if the
status bar is hidden.  Obviously that would include the various hints for
the tools, selection sizes, guide positions, etc.  They don't use the
same function call now, so that's fine.  But I was also thinking about
using gimp_statusbar_push_temp() for something else than errors.

For example, after saving a file it could be possible for the file
plug-ins to report things like the size of the saved file, which would
then be briefly shown to the user in the status bar.  Or if you undo or
redo some operation, its name could be briefly shown in the status bar
(like in the undo history).

These informational messages would be displayed in the status bar without
the "warning" icon that is currently used (we could use some "info" icon
although using no icon is probably better if we want the warnings to be
noticed easily).  And if the status bar is hidden, they would just not be
displayed anywhere because they are not very important anyway.

-Raphaël