Re: make healing brush and clone tool use one source and possibly involve shift modifier

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 09:28 +0300, Alexander Rabtchevich wrote:

> Working with healing brush in 2.3.11 I've found it very useful. But
> sometimes it is required not only to change the texture, but also to
> change color of the image part while retouching with clone tool. So I
> switch between tools with C and H hotkeys. It could be even smoother if
> these tools use the same source: if a source for healing brush is
> selected, and user switches to clone tool, the clone tool should already
> have the same source and be ready to work.

The only reasonable way to implement this would be to remove the Heal
tool and integrate healing as an option in the Clone tool. But we
decided against this because the clone options are already quite
complex.

This is similar to the Pencil and Paintbrush tools. There could be a
toggle for "Hard edge" in the Paintbrush tool instead of a dedicated
Pencil tool. This would result in a more powerful tool but it would be
quite overloaded and the Pencil feature would be harder to discover. The
same reasons apply here for having a dedicated Heal tool.

That said, let's get back to your suggestion. It would help if, instead
of proposing a solution, you could outline what exactly you cannot
achieve using the Heal tool. There are most probably better ways to
solve the problem.

Sven