Re: Hard edged Ink tool?

On 8/29/06, Øyvind Kolås <pippin@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am pretty positive that these problems could be sorted out when we
> know what people working with palette-based images want to have. I am
> just guessing on the needs here...

Having an implied conversion to RGB on input of indexed drawables is
the way GEGL will currently deal with such images.
Adding an op that converts this to 8bit/16bit/32bit integer grayscale
with a predefined, or optimally computed R,G,B palette is the natural
progression. That op could be used before saving/as a step towards
displaying data.

This allows implementations of all other processing and compositing
operations to be ignorant of indexed drawables, but is not an indexed
workflow, it will not work when multiple of the
original colors mapped to the same RGB triplet, but has a different
interpretation.
I believe that last thing is a minor issue that should be addressable by an output op; Certainly, actually editing with identical colors that have different indices is unhelpful and confusing. Some kind of custom remapping for a certain set of colors would probably be the way to go.